Re: School Project - Need Help :)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Used Farm Equipment Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on October 23, 2001 at 13:27:07:

In Reply to: Re: School Project - Need Help :) posted by Kevin on October 23, 2001 at 13:24:26:

: : I'm doing a school project for a Livestock Management class where we are supposed to set up a farrow-finish swine operation and an organic beef operation, all sustained on our own corn and soybean crops.

: : Being in charge of purhcasing equipment, as well as being totally clueless about farming in general, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could list for me the specific kinds of tractors, combines, etc. we would need to successfully carry out the above operation.

: : Thankyou! :)
: You will need a tractor of about 60-80hp with a loader atractor with 100-150hp for pulling. a plow and disc or field cultivator,a planter for corn and a planter for beans.You can also get a planter that will do both but it won't plant hay seed. You will need a hay mower,rake,and baler.The size of these machines will depend on how big your operation is.You will need a combine and heads that fit your operation .Make sure your corn head matches your corn planter (6row planter=6row corn head).The last thing I see that you will need is a lot of luck as corn and beans don't do well as organic crops.Also,don't spend too much on these items because you $ return probably won't be that good.Hope this helps.
I almost forgot your manure spreader as cows and pigs make alot of it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Used Farm Equipment Message Board ]